I ordered a new wallet for myself this week. A lovely soft pale pink leather one. Why? Because I have a love for money mindset. And one thing I have learned in all of my money mindset study is that if you respect your money and take care of it, money will love you back.
As child we often learn things about money that aren’t really the truth and don’t help our mindset with money when we grow to be adults. How we saw money in our childhood, the lessons taught by our family, and the habits of those around us all affect how we think about money today. And there is no better time to bring all of your limiting beliefs to the surface than when you start your own business. Know the feeling?!
Do any of these sound familiar to you?
‘Money doesn’t grow on trees’ aka money is limited.
‘You have to work hard for your money’ aka if you aren’t working yourself to the bone, you can’t be successful.
‘Money is the root of all evil’ aka if you have lots of money you will become a bad person.
“Money mindset” is our beliefs about money, which are usually subconscious. It’s how we approach earning, saving and spending money.
How we think about money determines the role it plays in your life. Does it support us or hold us back?
Having a beautiful wallet is one tip that I have learned around creating positive money thoughts. Here are some others I have picked up through my learning...
10 money mindset tips to support your dream life
1. Have a high quality wallet. By having a wallet that is nice, clean and tidy you show respect for the money in it. Ditch the daggy, ripped, falling apart wallet and treat yourself to something you are proud of.
2. Be grateful for what you already have. We know gratitude makes all the difference to our mindset so focus on being grateful for everything you have – the roof over your head, the food on your table, your health, family, business – instead of what you don’t have. Gratitude brings more abundance.
3. Forgive your financial past and know you can learn new knowledge. Ask for help or research financial and money tips to support your future. Educate yourself.
4. Be grateful for all bills you receive. Be grateful for the product or service it has offered you. Paying for a car bill? be grateful you have a car to drive around in. Paying for a phone bill? be grateful you have a phone to make your life easier and build your business.
5. Keep a $100 note in your wallet at all times. Keep this in there and don’t spend it! Show yourself that money is all around you, and always available.
6. Try some money affirmations. Create some simple statements that will transform your thoughts around money. It sounds a bit silly but repeating positive statements to ourselves helps to retrain the mind and there really is power in what we say to ourselves (whether that is positive or negative!). Try some statements like the below, or write your own:
- Money flows freely to me
- I am a money magnet
- Money is abundantly all around me
- There is always more where that came from
- It is safe for me to receive the money I desire
7. Allow yourself to spend money on things that bring you joy or support you in creating the future you dream of. Maybe you need to put some $$$ aside each week to reach the amount you need, or maybe you just need to take the leap and KNOW that the money will come back to you. Trust in your dreams!
8. Know that money is only energy and a way that we can exchange products and services with others. We don’t need to label money good or bad, it just is. Know that money is abundant and there is more than enough to go around for everyone
9. Know your numbers. Know where your money comes from and where it goes. Know how much is in your bank account each day.
10. Know that you are worthy of receiving the money you desire.
Two of my favourite resources for all things money are:
You are a Badass at Making Money by Jen Sincero.
Get Rich Lucky Bitch by Denise Duffield-Thomas.