If you are at all into personal growth, you will have heard about a vision board. But you've probably wondered how to make one? Or more importantly, do they work?
The answer is yes; vision boards are effective
Based around visualisation and the Law of Attraction, primarily what you focus on expands. If you see images and pictures of what truly matters to you every day, you are more likely to take action. Visualisation helps you to train the brain to prepare for the outcome in reality.
So, what essentially is a vision board?
A vision board is basically a board on which you stick images that represent whatever you want to be, do, or have in your life. A vision board is a tool that you can use to clarify and focus on your dreams and visions for the future.
A vision board helps you to narrow down your goals and desires. You have to stop and think about your specific dreams, and more importantly, determine how you want to feel.
This is the secret of vision boards, focusing on the desired feelings, and not only material things. Of course, you can include material items, but it is the feeling around owning these items that will help you get closer to achieving them or accomplishing something even better. A vision board is such a fun and visual way to remind yourself each day what you'd love your future to look like.
So, how do you make a vision board?
If you love creative projects you will LOVE the process of building and creating your vision board! It's such a fun process that you can do by yourself or with a group of girlfriends (there are such things as Vision Board parties!!). If you don't generally enjoy creative projects, you can keep it super simple and still achieve the desired outcome.
What do you need to make a vision board?
- A board. You can use an A3 size piece of card, a corkboard, some stores such as Kmart now sell framed boards specifically to create vision boards, or you can use any kind of card you have around the house.
- Magazines (to cut pictures and words out of).
- Glue or tape to attach the images to the board. You could also use string with mini pegs.
- Internet and printer if you prefer to use Pinterest to source your images.
- Photo's, postcards, invitations or any other printed material that has meaning to you that you'd love to include.
- Stickers, tape or any type of scrap booking materials to enhance your board visually (this is not essential but make it your own however you like!)
Here are five steps to creating your own vision board!
- Make some time to create your board. Don't try and rush it, create a beautiful mood, and set aside an afternoon or evening. Light candles, add music, get everything you need together, meditate if it feels good.
- Plan your board by thinking about your dreams and goals for the future and how you would like to feel. (Tip: it's a good idea to write these down, so you know what you are looking for when you start collating your images, plus you won't forget anything.) Think about how you would like your board to look; do you have a theme colour, do you like images all the same size and neatly placed, or a more messy look with images on different angles?
- Start flicking through the magazines and cut out any images, including words, that inspire you or create a warm feeling inside. Sit with each image and see how it feels. How you feel looking at the picture at this point, is how you want to feel every day when you look at it. (Tip: cut out everything that you think you may use, it's easier to leave things out when you are placing the images on your board than to miss something that inspires you.)
- Once you have all of your cuttings, you are ready to stick the pictures to the board. You can glue these on, use tape, use pins, use string and pegs...but whichever way you decide to attach the images, lay them out first so you can see how it looks. (Tip: You can group images by colour, or by area of your life i.e career, family, fitness etc). Once you are happy with the placement, attach all the images securely.
- Once your board is complete, place it somewhere you will see it every day. You must view it every day to remind yourselves of the dreams and goals you are working towards. This reminder will inspire you take action and small steps daily. Place the board by your bed, in your office, in the kitchen; or anywhere where you will regularly look at it.
And that's it; you are done! Take the time to look at your board daily, to feel inspired, to feel motivated, and to feel excited about the dream life that is ready and waiting for you.
Photo via Canva