Sometimes being a single mum can be hard; there is no doubt about it. But being a mother full stop can be hard...am I right?!
One of the most common questions I get asked is, "how can a single mom be happy?". This question does surprise me, but society often dictates people's perceptions of situations. People judge you based on their fears, being a single mum can be lonely, a single mom takes the majority of the work-load, plus there can be a lot of the guilt. But...being a single mom can also be awesome, amazing and empowering.
Are you really asking how a single mom can be happy?
Here are 15 reasons to be happy as a single mum:
- You can do whatever you want. You make all the decisions for yourself and your time. Ice cream for dinner and The Hills on TV? Yes, please.
- You know the respect you deserve. You know exactly how you should be treated and won't accept anything less.
- You can wear whatever you want, whenever you want. Comfy jammies over lacy lingerie every night.
- You learn you are stronger than you think, and your children see this strength. You become a fantastic role model.
- You learn to be adaptable, flexible and great at time management.
- You can parent however you want. What you say goes. You are the boss!
- You create your own family home, traditions, and values.
- You don't have to share a bedroom, closet, or bathroom. You'll still have the share the bed if your kids are anything like mine.
- You can eat whatever you want for dinner. Avocado on toast and a herbal tea anyone?
- You learn about life challenges, its lessons, and how to move through them.
- You can grow and change, and be the best version of yourself. Whatever that looks like!
- You create a unique and special bond with your children.
- Your children see you happy.
- You learn about asking and accepting help and allowing your friends and family to support you.
- The TV is all yours. Is there really any better reason!?